From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-box stopping services
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:10:31
1 On 21 Apr 2010, at 08:28, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 >> ... Does the system have sufficient swap?
3 >
4 > swap should be OK:
5 >
6 > # free -m
7 > total used free shared buffers
8 > cached
9 > Mem: 501 484 17 0 16
11 > -/+ buffers/cache: 226 275
12 > Swap: 494 288 205
13 >
14 > OK, a bit more RAM wouldn't hurt here.
15 > But I am compiling stuff right now.
16
17 I would add more.
18
19 Services mysteriously dying, surely that could be because the kernel
20 is killing them off due to an out-of-memory condition?
21
22 Maybe you have changed to a different compiler version in the past,
23 and this creates larger binaries?
24
25 That seems a bit tenuous, I don't know, but you can use a swapfile on
26 Linux (i.e. you can add to the current swap without having to create
27 an additional partition), and I doubt if it is hard to set up.
28
29 > ad updates:
30 >
31 > I was rather defensive there, I have to admit ..
32 > Just like "never touch a running system" ...
33
34 I seem to get into more trouble when I'm cautious with updates than I
35 do when I just let 'em rip as often as possible. More frequent updates
36 means fewer updates.
37
38 Stroller.