From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-box stopping services
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 07:29:16
1 Am 21.04.2010 00:07, schrieb Stroller:
2
3 > You emphasise how old the hardware is, but this really isn't a
4 > problem. As you say, one increasingly fears the death of a system
5 > which is getting so old, but I have two systems nearly as old running
6 > for years without hardware problems.
7
8 Yes, it does what it should do.
9
10 It's just that it gets more probable to have some strange and hidden
11 defects *maybe*.
12
13 But it would show other symptoms then, I assume.
14
15 > The questions I must ask are:
16 >
17 > - How uptodate is the Gentoo software? - Do you run updates
18 > regularly? - Did you run any shortly before this started occurring? -
19 > Have you run revdep-rebuild and stuff? - Does the system have
20 > sufficient swap?
21
22 swap should be OK:
23
24 # free -m
25 total used free shared buffers cached
26 Mem: 501 484 17 0 16 241
27 -/+ buffers/cache: 226 275
28 Swap: 494 288 205
29
30 OK, a bit more RAM wouldn't hurt here.
31 But I am compiling stuff right now.
32
33 -
34
35 ad updates:
36
37 I was rather defensive there, I have to admit ..
38 Just like "never touch a running system" ...
39
40 I updated the relevant pkgs like postfix, samba, clamav ... but there
41 are around 60 pkgs to update today.
42
43 Stuff like glibc, udev, pam .... I will apply them now step by step ...
44
45 revdep-rebuild was OK before, I had checked that after the last updates
46 a few days ago.
47
48 My first idea was to upgrade the kernel to maybe catch some relevant
49 fixes, that was about a week ago.
50
51 There was no specific update triggering this, in fact I hadn't touched
52 that box for weeks when the responsible man called me to tell me about
53 the new problems ...
54
55 Stefan