From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-box stopping services
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 22:08:01
1 On 20 Apr 2010, at 13:01, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > ...
3 > One of my customers runs an old P3 as a mail-gateway and samba-server
4 > (yeah, I know ...) behind his firewall ...
5 >
6 > They simply don't want to swap hardware, they are happy ... until the
7 > following started to happen every week or so:
8
9 You emphasise how old the hardware is, but this really isn't a
10 problem. As you say, one increasingly fears the death of a system
11 which is getting so old, but I have two systems nearly as old running
12 for years without hardware problems.
13
14 The questions I must ask are:
15
16 - How uptodate is the Gentoo software?
17 - Do you run updates regularly?
18 - Did you run any shortly before this started occurring?
19 - Have you run revdep-rebuild and stuff?
20 - Does the system have sufficient swap?
21
22 Stroller.