From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 12:16:47
1 On Monday 25 December 2006 04:48, "Andrey Gerasimenko" <gak@××××××.ru>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] anti-portage wreckage?':
3 > You want to update world and, at the same time, not to update anything.
4 > I can understand that if your goal is not to "update world", as Portage
5 > thinks when you say "-u world", but to install only bug and sequrity
6 > fixes, as Portage does if you mask pakeges properly.
7
8 Well, if you put some work into defining exactly what package versions
9 would want installed.
10
11 > As far as I
12 > remember, according to this list some work to treat sequrity updates
13 > differently is under way. As for bug fixes, I do not see how they can be
14 > separated from features.
15
16 glsa-check from gentoolkit(?) should tell you exactly what packages to
17 mask/upgrade to get security fixes, while bug fixes are currently handled
18 exactly the same way a feature additions (generally upstream doesn't
19 differentiate between these two changes either -- sometimes the y in x.y.z
20 is for feature additions (with the z for bug fixes) but this isn't really
21 consistent). Gentoo-specific bug fixes are either an in-place change to
22 the ebuild (no version bump) or a bump of the revision (-r1) number, which
23 is independent of upstream (and should nearly universally be installed).
26 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
27 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
28 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
29 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh