From: Andrey Gerasimenko <gak@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 10:52:49
1 On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 11:46:23 +0300, Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > I understand what you say, but I'm not sure I got my point across very
5 > well. Let's say I have a server that has various things installed like
6 > apache with the 2.0 branch, mysql with the 4.0 branch, and PHP with
7 > the 4.xbranch. If I do an emerge -u world on a machine with these, at
8 > some random
9 > point in time when the devs decide the newer branch is stable, then any
10 > one
11 > of these will be upgraded to the next branch. What I am asking, is why
12 > wouldn't it be better to have it where I will only stay on the current
13 > branch for that profile, and only move to the next branch when I change
14 > the
15 > profile?
18 I do not see any linkage between a profile, which is actually just a set
19 of use variables , and application versions since there is no version data
20 in a profile. (Actually there is, like minimal package versions and
21 required stage 1 packages, but adding maximum versions to profile will
22 make it unusable for most users) That is, profile is not a branch.
23
24 I also do not see how a branch can be created based on a profile or a
25 snapshot of a portage tree. For example, if a server profile is being
26 used, what PHP should be in the branch? Or, better, if I decide to install
27 Qt on a server, which definitely does not have KDE, should it be 3 or 4?
28 The only base for branch type versioning I see is the current set of
29 installed packages.
30
31 You want to update world and, at the same time, not to update anything. I
32 can understand that if your goal is not to "update world", as Portage
33 thinks when you say "-u world", but to install only bug and sequrity
34 fixes, as Portage does if you mask pakeges properly. As far as I remember,
35 according to this list some work to treat sequrity updates differently is
36 under way. As for bug fixes, I do not see how they can be separated from
37 features.
38
39 I feel that what you call "branch" Portage often calls "slot". For
40 example, PHP is slotted, so that if you have PHP 4 and PHP 5 is being
41 installed, your 4 does not go away.
42
43 As for ebuilds going modular, I beleive that each case is to be treated
44 separately. For example, KDE is going modular now. For 3, both modular and
45 monolithic ebuilds are maintained, for 4 - only modular ones. No problems
46 at all, right?
47
48 I still do not see that any changes to portage are necessary. My guess is
49 that your request can be formulated as a set of requests like
50
51 - this app is not slotted, it should be
52
53 - I want a script that will examine my world and mask everything so that I
54 can upgrade only the last 2 version numbers
55
56 - I want another script to manage the masks set by the previous one
57
58 I hope that will be easier for developers to understand.
61 Andrei Gerasimenko
62 --
63 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list