From: Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 08:50:50
1 I understand what you say, but I'm not sure I got my point across very
2 well. Let's say I have a server that has various things installed like
3 apache with the 2.0 branch, mysql with the 4.0 branch, and PHP with
4 the 4.xbranch. If I do an emerge -u world on a machine with these, at
5 some random
6 point in time when the devs decide the newer branch is stable, then any one
7 of these will be upgraded to the next branch. What I am asking, is why
8 wouldn't it be better to have it where I will only stay on the current
9 branch for that profile, and only move to the next branch when I change the
10 profile?
11
12 Like, say I have the 2005 profile, then I wouldn't have to worry about PHP
13 upgrading to 5.0 or randomly requiring some virtual ebuild or whatever else
14 is decided to be thrown our way. I would just have to worry about updating
15 the 4.x branch at least until the devs decide to stop supporting it.
16
17 I think another advantage to using this method would be that it would make
18 it easier to transition from an application that has a monolithic ebuild to
19 suddenly having a modular ebuild, or a virtual ebuild. At least this way,
20 we wouldn't have to worry about fundamental things changing on us during an
21 update until we change the profile and can expect these kinds of changes and
22 can deal with them at a more convenient time instead of when the devs decide
23 it's time to for us.
24
25 Does that make any sense?