From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 09:10:17
1 Mike Myers wrote:
2 > I understand what you say, but I'm not sure I got my point across very
3 > well. Let's say I have a server that has various things installed
4 > like apache with the 2.0 branch, mysql with the 4.0 branch, and PHP
5 > with the 4.x branch. If I do an emerge -u world on a machine with
6 > these, at some random point in time when the devs decide the newer
7 > branch is stable, then any one of these will be upgraded to the next
8 > branch. What I am asking, is why wouldn't it be better to have it
9 > where I will only stay on the current branch for that profile, and
10 > only move to the next branch when I change the profile?
11
12 Then you can mask them in package.mask and then it won't upgrade the
13 ones you don't want to upgrade. When you get ready to upgrade, just
14 comment the lines in the file and upgrade.
15 >
16 > Like, say I have the 2005 profile, then I wouldn't have to worry about
17 > PHP upgrading to 5.0 or randomly requiring some virtual ebuild or
18 > whatever else is decided to be thrown our way. I would just have to
19 > worry about updating the 4.x branch at least until the devs decide to
20 > stop supporting it.
21 >
22 > I think another advantage to using this method would be that it would
23 > make it easier to transition from an application that has a monolithic
24 > ebuild to suddenly having a modular ebuild, or a virtual ebuild. At
25 > least this way, we wouldn't have to worry about fundamental things
26 > changing on us during an update until we change the profile and can
27 > expect these kinds of changes and can deal with them at a more
28 > convenient time instead of when the devs decide it's time to for us.
29 >
30 > Does that make any sense?
34 Well, I remember xorg going modular too. I read that some were having
35 problems and I just masked it for a few weeks, then upgraded after it
36 all got sorted out. It worked fine for me. I had no problems after that.
37
38 All this said, it is rare that I have trouble doing a upgrade. Most of
39 my problems come in when I am using something that is masked or
40 keyworded. Then you can expect to have those though.
41
42 There are ways to do what you want, it just seems to defeat the purpose
43 of having Gentoo in my opinion.
44
45 Dale
46