From: Rumen Yotov <gentoo@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop Install Issue
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:37:33
1 On (11/12/05 10:42), C. Beamer wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I've become so enamoured with Gentoo that I've decided to install on my
5 > laptop. However, I'm having a bit of a problem.
6 >
7 > I'm at the point where I can boot the system and I've been trying to
8 > install xorg-x11. However, the laptop keeps powering off on me.
9 >
10 > This wasn't a problem until I build the kernel where I built acpi
11 > support into it. However, I *didn't* read the ACPI Guide and obviously,
12 > should have. That's no big problem, I'll just recompile the kernel and
13 > follow what the Guide says.
14 >
15 > My issue is this: The computer powered off in the middle of the install
16 > of xorg-x11. This has happened a couple of times. I haven't been
17 > having problems with the laptop, so I'm pretty sure the issue has
18 > something to do with power management since I built power management
19 > into the kernel, but didn't emerge acpid. Anyway, since the emerge of
20 > xorg-x11 has bombed a couple of times, is there anything that I should
21 > do in the way of clean up before trying to emerge it again?
22 >
23 > Regards,
24 >
25 > Colleen
26 > --
27 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
28 >
29 Hi,
30 No experience with laptops, but here's some suggestions.
31 Check on Google about your laptop's brand,model etc.
32 Reboot with kernel parameter "acpi=off" or other, check install docs/CD.
33 Give here some info about it, very likely someone will have similar.
34 HTH.Rumen