From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preserved-rebuild will not run at all
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 21:12:24
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Apparently, though unproven, at 22:35 on Sunday 12 December 2010,
4 > covici@××××××××××.com did opine thusly:
5 >
6 > > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > > > On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 10:48 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 > > > > I have a fair number of preserved-libs, but it will not run at all and
9 > > > > gives the rather strange message:
10 > > > > Calculating dependencies... done!
11 > > > >
12 > > > > emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "dev-tex/mplib:0".
13 > > > > (dependency required by "@preserved-rebuild")
14 > > > >
15 > > > > Now I have no such package and an eix seems to indicate that there is
16 > > > > no such, so how do I get this rebuild going again?
17 > > > >
18 > > > > Thanks in advance for all your help.
19 > > > >
20 > > > > --
21 > > > > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
22 > > > > How do
23 > > > > you spend it?
24 > > > >
25 > > > > John Covici
26 > > > > covici@××××××××××.com
27 > > >
28 > > > Probably searching for packages that depend on mplib, (equery) then
29 > > > emerge -C them (it's what I'd probably do - depends...) then re-emerge
30 > > > them if you still use them? Note that I'd go back to finding what
31 > > > members of the world file need all this stuff and emerge that with
32 > > > -DuN, maybe even doing a -depclean after the emerge -C. It's all a
33 > > > guess though.
34 > > >
35 > > > Seems like this sort of thing happens when a package gets dumped in an
36 > > > upgrade but somehow the ebuilds or package manager don't get updated
37 > > > or just don't work perfectly.
38 > > >
39 > > > Again, all a guess but I can usually figure it out looking at equery
40 > > > output, etc.
41 > >
42 > > Well, there was a package, but no ebuild, so I deleted the package and
43 > > its going, but someone broke something. I wish you could not delete an
44 > > ebuild if you have the package, or it would put it somewhere to prevent
45 > > this kind of thing.
46 >
47 > That will make portage store gigantic numbers of old and since upgraded
48 > versions just in case maybe you might need it perhaps. Sounds like a lot of
49 > pain for no gain. Sounds like exactly the kind of thing any decent dev will
50 > reject.
51 >
52 > Besides, you can always get the old ebuild back from the Attic, or you could
53 > copy it somewhere safe from /var/db/pkg/ before you delete it.
54 >
55 > Mark has the correct solution. mplib is not needed and was deleted. However,
56 > it's in preserved-rebuild as being used by something. In all likelyhood that
57 > something uses mplib purely optionally and you should just rebuild that
58 > something. You provided no output so no-one here knows how to fix your
59 > problem.
60 There was no output, but what I sent and the only thing depended on
61 mplib was the package with no ebuild, so I guess its fixed. But
62 something seems wrong here that you should have a package and the ebuild
63 would go away like that. I am not sure of the best solution.
66 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
67 How do
68 you spend it?
69
70 John Covici