From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preserved-rebuild will not run at all
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 20:53:52
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 22:35 on Sunday 12 December 2010,
2 covici@××××××××××.com did opine thusly:
3
4 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 10:48 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > > I have a fair number of preserved-libs, but it will not run at all and
7 > > > gives the rather strange message:
8 > > > Calculating dependencies... done!
9 > > >
10 > > > emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "dev-tex/mplib:0".
11 > > > (dependency required by "@preserved-rebuild")
12 > > >
13 > > > Now I have no such package and an eix seems to indicate that there is
14 > > > no such, so how do I get this rebuild going again?
15 > > >
16 > > > Thanks in advance for all your help.
17 > > >
18 > > > --
19 > > > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
20 > > > How do
21 > > > you spend it?
22 > > >
23 > > > John Covici
24 > > > covici@××××××××××.com
25 > >
26 > > Probably searching for packages that depend on mplib, (equery) then
27 > > emerge -C them (it's what I'd probably do - depends...) then re-emerge
28 > > them if you still use them? Note that I'd go back to finding what
29 > > members of the world file need all this stuff and emerge that with
30 > > -DuN, maybe even doing a -depclean after the emerge -C. It's all a
31 > > guess though.
32 > >
33 > > Seems like this sort of thing happens when a package gets dumped in an
34 > > upgrade but somehow the ebuilds or package manager don't get updated
35 > > or just don't work perfectly.
36 > >
37 > > Again, all a guess but I can usually figure it out looking at equery
38 > > output, etc.
39 >
40 > Well, there was a package, but no ebuild, so I deleted the package and
41 > its going, but someone broke something. I wish you could not delete an
42 > ebuild if you have the package, or it would put it somewhere to prevent
43 > this kind of thing.
44
45 That will make portage store gigantic numbers of old and since upgraded
46 versions just in case maybe you might need it perhaps. Sounds like a lot of
47 pain for no gain. Sounds like exactly the kind of thing any decent dev will
48 reject.
49
50 Besides, you can always get the old ebuild back from the Attic, or you could
51 copy it somewhere safe from /var/db/pkg/ before you delete it.
52
53 Mark has the correct solution. mplib is not needed and was deleted. However,
54 it's in preserved-rebuild as being used by something. In all likelyhood that
55 something uses mplib purely optionally and you should just rebuild that
56 something. You provided no output so no-one here knows how to fix your
57 problem.
61 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com