From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] JDK 7 on server
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 14:07:47
1 On Monday 17 February 2014 04:12 AM, Edward M wrote:
2 > On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 14:14:24 +0530
3 > Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> rvices to customers, so compatibility is
6 >> definitely a concern. I'm not exactly sure what the differences are
7 >> between Oracle JDK & OpenJDK; the differences I found so far on Google
8 >> are old and make sense only for Java 6.
9 >
10 > Hello,
11 >
12 > To my understanding, Oracle JDK binary is created from the source code
13 > released from the OpenJDK project with some Oracle's own propriety
14 > code. The other difference is Oracle's JDK binary is released under
15 > Oracle Technology Network Developer License Terms for JAVA EE SDK,JDK
16 > where as OpenJDK code is under GPL + linking exceptions.
17 >
18 > More info at:
19 >
20 > https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/java_7_questions_answers
21 >
22 > Best regards
23 > ED
26 So it would be correct to say that for Java EE applications, icedtea
27 would be enough? As per the link you gave me, it says some graphical
28 components & fonts are extra, none of which are used in case of web
29 applications.