From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Safe way to test a new kernel?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 14:06:17
1 Hello, Nikos.
2
3 On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 04:10:10AM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 > On 25/02/12 04:00, Grant wrote:
5 > > I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system. Is there a
6 > > safe way to do this? The fallback thing in grub has never worked for
7 > > me. When does that ever work?
8
9 > Oh crap, you said "remote system". Somehow I missed that. Ignore my
11 > require a hardware VNC module (if you had that, then you wouldn't have
12 > posted about the issue in the first place, I assume.)
13
14 > The way I dealt with it, is to use the "boot once" functionality of Grub:
15
16 > http://weichong78.blogspot.com/2007/04/grub-test-kernel-once.html
17
18 > I didn't bother with the panic handler, since I had remote hard-reset
19 > functionality (I recommend it; it can save your day.)
20
21 What is this "remote hard-reset functionality", if you don't mind me
22 asking? Do you mean somebody on the far end of a telephone line?
25 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).