From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Safe way to test a new kernel?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 02:17:32
1 On 25/02/12 04:00, Grant wrote:
2 > I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system. Is there a
3 > safe way to do this? The fallback thing in grub has never worked for
4 > me. When does that ever work?
5
6 Oh crap, you said "remote system". Somehow I missed that. Ignore my
8 require a hardware VNC module (if you had that, then you wouldn't have
9 posted about the issue in the first place, I assume.)
10
11 The way I dealt with it, is to use the "boot once" functionality of Grub:
12
13 http://weichong78.blogspot.com/2007/04/grub-test-kernel-once.html
14
15 I didn't bother with the panic handler, since I had remote hard-reset
16 functionality (I recommend it; it can save your day.)