From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Safe way to test a new kernel?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:31:53
1 >> I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system.  Is there a
2 >> safe way to do this?  The fallback thing in grub has never worked for
3 >> me.  When does that ever work?
6 > Oh crap, you said "remote system".  Somehow I missed that.  Ignore my
8 > require a hardware VNC module (if you had that, then you wouldn't have
9 > posted about the issue in the first place, I assume.)
10 >
11 > The way I dealt with it, is to use the "boot once" functionality of Grub:
12 >
13 > http://weichong78.blogspot.com/2007/04/grub-test-kernel-once.html
14
15 Perfect! That's exactly what I need. Here is an alternate method too:
16
17 http://fabbritech.blogspot.com/2009/07/make-grub-boot-something-once.html
18
19 I will test this ASAP.