From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Safe way to test a new kernel?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 07:18:59
1 >>> I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system.  Is there a
2 >>> safe way to do this?  The fallback thing in grub has never worked for
3 >>> me.  When does that ever work?
6 >> Oh crap, you said "remote system".  Somehow I missed that.  Ignore my
8 >> require a hardware VNC module (if you had that, then you wouldn't have
9 >> posted about the issue in the first place, I assume.)
10 >>
11 >> The way I dealt with it, is to use the "boot once" functionality of Grub:
12 >>
13 >> http://weichong78.blogspot.com/2007/04/grub-test-kernel-once.html
14 >
15 > Perfect!  That's exactly what I need.  Here is an alternate method too:
16 >
17 > http://fabbritech.blogspot.com/2009/07/make-grub-boot-something-once.html
18 >
19 > I will test this ASAP.
20 >
21 > - Grant
22
23 I get "Unrecognized command" from savedefault in grub:
24
25 grub> savedefault --default=1 --once
26 Error 27: Unrecognized command
27
28 I re-emerged grub with /boot mounted and ran grub-install but I get
29 the same error. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm on
30 grub-0.97-r10.
31
32 - Grant