From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Checking an HD for problems
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:01:35
1 On 09/22/2010 01:26 PM, Stroller wrote:
2 >
3 > On 22 Sep 2010, at 17:46, Grant wrote:
4 >> ... I noticed some errors when I was cp -ax'ing everything
5 >> from my old drive to the new drive which were accompanied by loud
6 >> clicks. Is there a way to do a comprehensive test/check of the old
7 >> drive to see if it has any problems?
8 >
9 > You don't need to do a test. The disk that is making the noises is f**ked.
10 >
11 > Assuming that it's the old drive that is knackered...
12
13 I was thinking the same. In the past three or four years I've had more
14 brand new drives go bad than older ones. Funny, though, the replacement
15 drives I've received under warranty work spectacularly well. Just luck?