From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Hello
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 15:29:20
1 On 3/6/06, A.R.S. KA9QLQ Alvin Koffman <alvin_ka9qlq@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I looked at gentoo about 2 years back when I wanted to switch from
3 > Mandrake, I went with Mepis and realy liked 3.3 but 3.4-3 doesn't seem as
4 > good. Don't like how they changed the reopositories. So I thought I'd look
5 > to gentoo again, and am please to see they're really making progress.
6 > Looks like there's a live cd with a graphical install from what I've read.
9 Yeah, I tried it this weekend, damn good if you ask me. I tried an
10 alternative way it provides, creating the stage3 dynamic with the
11 packages in the livecd. 2 hours and I got a full working environment
12 with X and all the stuff... 1 day later it was all configured and
13 updated...
16 > I remember asking about a graphical frountend [like synaptit in Mepis] and
17 > was told "we're working on it." How's it coming?
18
19 Never heard of it, but I kinda like emerge command line style.
22 > I see it still leans heavly on Gnome but a KDE version is on it's way,
23 > that will help with popularity.
24
25 I hate KDE (MHO, no flames please), but you're right, anyway, I guess
26 you don't need kde for a graphical installer interface, I mean, Gnome
27 loads in half the time and provides you what you need (don't get me
28 wrong, Im a fluxbox user, so I hate Gnome as well).
31 > I have a Celleron 2.9 gig 80 gig hd X 2 and 160 gig sata Diamond Stealth
32 > P90 nvidia fx 5200 video, and winsurf tv card that likes to lock my systom
33 > up grrrr and dsl.
34 >
35 > Will the dvd have a ton of stuff? I see the live cd is only 200 meg, that
36 > seems kinda small. Be nice to see xvkbd in it for people who can't use
37 > their hands well.
38
39 I bet the LiveDVD will be awesome, I wonder if it will come with all
40 the packages binaries updated, damn good for new installs, In about 3
41 hours you get a full working environment and start working while
42 portage 15 nicened update everything else in the background.
43
44 > Just wondering.
45 > Alvin
46 >
47 > For the best jerky you've ever had go to
48 > http://alk.jerkydirect.com/
49 > My home page
50 > http://ka9qlq.tripod.com
51 > This PC is windows free with Mepis Linux 3.4-3
52 > http://www.mepis.org/
53 > 1(747)632-4973 SIP
54 > Get Gizmo 1 cent per minuet calling
55 > http://www.gizmoproject.com/
56 > --
57 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
63 Daniel da Veiga