From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Why is the latest release 2006.1?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:38:50
1 Jerry McBride wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi Dale...
4 >
5 > Umm... where do you live? I'm in New Jersey... If you are state side, I'm
6 > willing to burn a few Gentoo cd's or dvd's for you if you wish. Won't cost
7 > you a dime.
8 >
9 > Just email me if you are interested.
10 >
11 > --
12 >
13 > Jerry McBride
16 Well, everything is good to go over here right now. My hard drives are
17 only about 3 years old. I do have a backup of portage and a snapshot on
18 some CDs. I do this when a big upgrade like KDE comes out. I also have
19 a UPS connected and a surge protector as well. Short of me spilling tea
20 in my rig I should be OK. I'm not going to say I am completely safe
21 though. If I say that, I will find a hole in my plan. :-(
22
23 I do see the OPs point though. If I had to install and had no back-ups
24 at all, it would be tough. I have the latest CD, 2006.1 I think, that
25 is available but look at all the updates that have come out since then.
26 It would be a huge download and would take me over a week, if not
27 longer. Plus, I can't connect to the net from the CD.
28
29 As to where I live, I live about half way between Columbus and West
30 Point MS. I'm almost to the very end of the phone line and the big
31 telephone box is about 20 years old. As a matter fact, when they last
32 replaced that box, we got off of party lines. How's that for old? They
33 were due to replace the box a couple years ago but hurricane Dennis and
34 Katrina hit the coast and all the phone people went south, as a
35 geographical direction, not a figure of speech. That would have got us
36 DSL out here and I would have been on it with both feet, firmly.
37
38 I do plan to get a DVD burner soon. If I do that, I plan to do complete
39 backups then, the whole thing, not just a snapshot and distfiles. If
40 you follow the myspace link below, you may understand why I have not
41 done so already. My blog entries get a lot of reads. Divorces can be
42 nasty. May have a new blog entry in the next few days, waiting on the
43 call from a lawyer.
44
45 Thanks for the offer. If something did happen, I do have a plan. I
46 have not tested it but I certainly hope it will work if I have to test
47 it. May keep that offer in mind though. < Dale make a note of the
48 email address > I would gladly pay the costs of the media and mailing
49 at least. Paypal comes to mind to take care of that. ;-)
50
51 Jeez, I hadn't had a offer to help like that in a while. I thought I
52 was the only one that would do something like that. Your name is
53 familiar too. Where I know you from is unclear but we have spoke
54 before, some where.
55
56 Dale
57
61 www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967
62
63 Copy n paste then remove the -remove-me- part.