From: Avaricen <avaricen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Licenses
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:26:55
1 Fredrik Tolf wrote:
2 > Hi List!
3 >
4 > I was wondering -- is there a way to find out which of the licenses
5 > in /usr/portage/licenses can be considered free software licenses
6 > (without having to read and understand them)?
7 >
8 > I'm trying to find out what packages I have installed that cannot be
9 > considered free, and while it's easy to get a list of the licenses in
10 > use, that in itself is pretty useless without knowing anything about the
11 > licenses.
12 >
13 > Btw., shouldn't portage have some kind of flag to at least warn if a
14 > proprietary package is being pulled in through dependencies? I just
15 > discovered that I have realplayer installed, which was pulled in by
16 > mplayer.
17 >
18 > Fredrik Tolf
22 What do you mean you had realplayer pulled in by Mplayer? Also I'm
23 unaware of anyone really caring about licenses. If you're not very happy
24 with proprietary software, it would be wise to play with GnextSense
25 which is based upon free software with free software (only).
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list