From: Bob Sanders <rmsand@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade + gcc dilemma
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 17:14:36
1 On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:50:10 -0600
2 "Anthony E. Caudel" <acaudel@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > So, my problem is, how do I avoid the extra 100, unnecessary compiles?
7 > I tried "emerge --emptytree --upgrade -p" but it ignored the upgrade
8 > option so I can't combine them that way.
11 Simply put you can't. The base system - emerge -e system, has to be done once and that
12 gets everything in the system profile built with gcc 3.4. However, both gcc and glibc need to
13 be rebuilt again after the first pass, and anything using glibc needs to be rebuilt after glibc
14 has been recompiled, thus the - emerge -e world.
15
16 Think about it this way - things like binutils and linux-headers are used with gcc-3.4 and the old
17 glibc to rebuild glibc. But the new glibc is different than the old glibc, thus bin-utils is working
18 with pointers to places in glibc that may not exist any more. Thus needs to be rebuilt with
19 the new glibc, as does ncurses, zlib and a ton of other things. One thing you could do to
20 speed up the emerge -e system pass is to add a - USE="-X -doc" to avoid building Xorg on the system
21 pass.
22
23 Still it take two complete passes to use both the new gcc and the glibc compiled with the new gcc.
24 Look ate the output of emerge -ep system. All those packages before glibc have to be rebuilt after
25 glibc has been rebuilt. And all the packages after glibc that have dependencies on the previous
26 packages have to be rebuilt after the previous packages have been built with the new glibc.
27
28 This is essentially what occurs during a Stage 1 install and /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh is
29 run - multiple passes, rebuilding the system profile in a specific sequence.
30
31 Bob
32 -
33 --