From: Abhay Kedia <abhay.ilugd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] netscape-flash and sound predicament
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:06:11
1 On Monday 16 January 2006 19:17, Michael Crute wrote:
2 >
3 > Thanks Abhay I will give that a try when I get home today. I assume
4 > aoss is part of alsa-utils? (I don't have portage handy to check this
5 > out at the moment)
6 >
7 It comes from alsa-oss. This package gets compiled automatically, as a
8 dependency, if you enable +oss use flag with alsa-driver
11 > On the topic of sound servers. Being fairly ignorant about sound on
12 > linux (but willing to learn). Is there a good reason to use a sound
13 > server or am I better off to use ALSA directly? What purpose do sound
14 > servers serve?
15 >
16 If you check out mailing list archives of sometime back, you'll find me asking
17 exactly the same question. At that time I was using aRts with KDE, and was
18 experiencing nothing but problems. I did not get any concrete replies to this
19 particular question i.e. "Why use a sound server anyways?". Just to see how
20 things turn out, I disabled aRts and don't face any problems till now. I am
21 using ALSA directly.
22
23 You can also try disabling esd and see how things go for you. If you face any
24 problems then you can enable it again, but I personally don't see any reason
25 to use a sound server.
28 Regards,
29 Abhay