From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] netscape-flash and sound predicament
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:53:04
1 On 1/16/06, Abhay Kedia <abhay.ilugd@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 16 January 2006 09:04, Michael Crute wrote:
3 > >
4 > > So my question would be, is there a way to make flash mix its sounds
5 > > in with the other programs on the computer? I know its possible as I
6 > > have done it before but I can not seem to get it working now. A google
7 > > search seems to get me nowhere. Any thoughts or a nudge in the right
8 > > direction would be much appreciated.
9 > >
10 > Flash still uses OSS to play sounds, and if you are using ALSA then it is
11 > using OSS emulation. I don't know how to do it with other browsers but I use
12 > "aoss firefox" to start firefox. This mixes sounds of Flash pretty well with
13 > any other sound producing app. I can even hear songs while Flash produces its
14 > sound in browser.
15 >
16 > A point to mention here would be that I am not using esd or any other sound
17 > daemon. Just plain jane ALSA with dmix.
20 Thanks Abhay I will give that a try when I get home today. I assume
21 aoss is part of alsa-utils? (I don't have portage handy to check this
22 out at the moment)
23
24 On the topic of sound servers. Being fairly ignorant about sound on
25 linux (but willing to learn). Is there a good reason to use a sound
26 server or am I better off to use ALSA directly? What purpose do sound
27 servers serve?
28
29 -Mike
33 Michael E. Crute
34 Software Developer
35 SoftGroup Development Corporation
36
37 Linux takes junk and turns it into something useful.
38 Windows takes something useful and turns it into junk.
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list