From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} High capacity backup plan needed
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 18:51:34
1 Am Samstag, 9. August 2008 17:41:39 schrieb Grant:
2
3 > >> I could set up NAS storage at a friend's place. We both have
4 > >> Suddenlink cable connections so the throughput should be alright. I
5 > >> don't like running a non-Gentoo system though, even if it is just NAS.
6 > >> Plus he uses a Netgear router which needs to be reset periodically.
7 > >
8 > > The router is a problem, but one which can be solved by buying a
9 > > replacement (which should be cheap compared with the costs for a NAS or a
10 > > 1TB disk.
11 > >
12 > > Concerning the NAS, why don't you build one yourself? It's no more than 4
13 > > HDDs, a cheap system and an NFS- or Samba- and SSH-server, really.
14 >
15 > I think that's what I'll do. Thanks a lot for your input.
16
17 And for the backup sw, I would use rsnapshot (rsync based) or something
18 similar.
19
20 Bye...
21