From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} High capacity backup plan needed
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 15:41:42
1 >> I'm struggling to come up with a plan for making backups that is both
2 >> effective and economical. I have 4 Gentoo systems:
3 >>
4 >> 1. strong local desktop
5 >> 2. weak local desktop
6 >> 3. laptop
7 >> 4. hosted remote server
8 >>
9 >> I'd like to backup the important system and data files from each of
10 >> these systems, plus my entire (growing) music collection which is
11 >> stored on system #1. I'd like these backups to be safe in case of
12 >> fire, theft, hard drive crash, etc. The system and data files are not
13 >> a problem to encrypt, archive, store, and rsync across systems #1 and
14 >> #4 because their size is relatively small. However, my music
15 >> collection is big and growing and I'd like to have 1TB available for
16 >> it. I'm not sure how to handle that.
17 >
18 > [...]
19 >>
20 >> I could set up NAS storage at a friend's place. We both have
21 >> Suddenlink cable connections so the throughput should be alright. I
22 >> don't like running a non-Gentoo system though, even if it is just NAS.
23 >> Plus he uses a Netgear router which needs to be reset periodically.
24 >
25 > The router is a problem, but one which can be solved by buying a replacement
26 > (which should be cheap compared with the costs for a NAS or a 1TB disk.
27 >
28 > Concerning the NAS, why don't you build one yourself? It's no more than 4
29 > HDDs, a cheap system and an NFS- or Samba- and SSH-server, really.
30
31 I think that's what I'll do. Thanks a lot for your input.
32
33 - Grant