From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] making bootable USB
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 23:42:59
1 On 09/01/14 15:50, Will Tomlinson wrote:
2 >On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 20:53:37 +0200
3 >Christian Kruse <cjk@×××××××.ch> wrote:
4 >
5 >> No, the current minimal ISO image can't be dd'ed to an USB
6 >> stick. Tried it yesterday for a fresh install on a new box, it doesn't
7 >> work. I used System Rescue CD then.
8 >>
9 >> Regards,
12 >I have never used any other method to write the Gentoo minimal ISO to a
13 >USB stick. And I also tried it on the most recent ISO as of yesterday
14 >with no issues. I'm curious why there seems to be so much difference in
15 >opinion on this. Maybe certain hardware doesn't work with this method?
16 >I'm just guessing here as I can't seem to reproduce the problem.
17 >
18 >As for your issue Joseph, have you tried using a tool like unetbootin?
19 >It would certainly simplify the process for you. I am a CLI purist at
20 >heart, but there comes a point where I would rather just get something
21 >done than stick to my ideals.
22 >
23 >--
24 >Will Tomlinson
25
26 Will, I just installed "unetbootin" and selected image I've saved earlier:
27 install-amd64-minimal-20140828.iso (yes, I verified md5sum)
28 The process was completed without errors, but my system still can not boot from this 1GB USB disk, I'm puzzled.
29
30 This the same USB disk had earlier Gentoo burn ISO I did it maybe 5-year ago and was booting just find from the machine I"m trying to make it to work.
31 I wanted to have current/updated ISO image on it. But doesn't matter what I do it doesn't work :-/
32
33 I just tried "usb_instal.sh" script from systemrescuecd-x86-4.3.0.iso and my box boots just fine. So why do I have problem using "unetbootin" and generating
34 bootable USB manually.
37 Joseph