From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Recommend a simple video editor?
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 14:41:42
1 On 2016-06-11, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I've got a handful of mp4 video clips (a minute or two each). All I
4 > want to do is
5 >
6 > 1) Concatenate them with fade-in at beginning of each clip and fade-out
7 > at the end of each clip.
8 >
9 > 2) Superimpose a title at the beginning for a few seconds.
10 >
11 > Can anybody recomment a simple video editor?
14 > So far I've tried Openshot and Cinelerra and niether is usable even
15 > for my trivial task.
16 [...]
17 > I may try Cinelerra 2014, but I'm not optimistic -- Cinelerra is known
18 > for it's slow rate of change.
19
20 I tried the 2014 (~amd64) version of Cinelerra, and it still doesn't
21 recognize the AAC audio in the MP4 files my Moto G phone produces.
22
23 I also tried the downloaded binary of Shotcut, but it it requires old
24 versions of libraries and wouldn't run. So, I tried building it using
25 the shotcut-9999 ebuild and the mlt-9999 ebuild from
26
27 https://gpo.zugaina.org/media-video/shotcut
28 https://gpo.zugaina.org/media-libs/mlt
29
30 The git version of MLT installed fine, but shotcut failed to compile:
31
32 cd src/ && ( test -e Makefile || /usr/lib64/qt5/bin/qmake /var/tmp/portage/media-video/shotcut-9999/work/shotcut-9999/src/src.pro 'PREFIX={D}/usr/' -o Makefile ) && make -f Makefile
33 Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: websockets
34 Makefile:95: recipe for target 'sub-src-make_first' failed
35
36 I could probably figure out what's wrong and fix it, but...
37
38 Meanwhile, I was experimenting with the "melt" command-line video
39 editor that's included in the MLT library.
40
41 https://mltframework.org/twiki/bin/view/MLT/MltMelt
42 https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcUid3OP_4OWC-GJ6KfHK7dIK_yRKKn0e
43
44 It's pretty cool, if somewhat cryptic. The documentation is a little
45 scarce, and what exists is somewhat hidden from Google by the use of a
46 common English word as the program name.
47
48 But, the developer was kind enough to offer a couple hints on the
49 mailing list, and it did a great job.
50
51 Using the x264 codec it produce an output file that was 1/3 the size
52 of that produce by Openshot and the improvement in video quality over
53 Openshot was Yuge(tm)! I cranked up the x264 bitrate some (filesize
54 is now a little over half of that produced by Openshot), and the video
55 quality is great -- it's indiscernible from the input files which are
56 almost twice as large.
57
58 The interesting thing is that Openshot and melt both use the same MLT
59 backend, so Openshot _should_ be able to generate the exact same
60 output -- assuming it exposes all the required codec selections and
61 settings.
64 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I have a TINY BOWL in
65 at my HEAD
66 gmail.com