From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 22:06:25
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > lee wrote:
4 >> Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
5 >>
6 >>> lee wrote:
7 >>>> Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
8 >>>>
9 >>>>> lee wrote:
10 >>>>>> Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> writes:
11 >>>>>>
12 >>>>>>> On 12/19/2016 10:15 AM, lee wrote:
13 >>>>>>>> "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> writes:
14 >>>>>>>>
15 >>>>>>>>> Similarly, the vast majority of home users have a machine with one
16 >>>>>>>>> ethernet port, and in the past it's always been eth0.
17 >>>>>>>> Since 10 years or so, the default is two ports.
18 >>>>>>> Not in any of the computers I've built. Generally only high end or
19 >>>>>>> workstation/server boards have two ports.
20 >>>>>>>
21 >>>>>>> i.e. not what the typical home user would buy.
22 >>>>>> It is not reasonable to assume that a "typical home user" would want a
23 >>>>>> computer with a crappy board to run Linux on it (or for anything
24 >>>>>> else). If they are that cheap, they're better off buying a used one.
25 >>>>>> When they are sufficiently clueless to want something like that, what
26 >>>>>> does it matter what the network interfaces are called.
27 >>>>>>
28 >>>>> I built my current rig just a few years ago. It has one ethernet port
29 >>>>> on it. Since it didn't work right, bad drivers I guess, I added a card
30 >>>>> to have the second port. The rig I built before that, it also had one
31 >>>>> ethernet port.
32 >>>>>
33 >>>>> I might add, I didn't buy a "crappy board" either. The first was Abit
34 >>>>> which was the top rated brand at the time and my current board is
35 >>>>> Gigabyte, another highly rated board at the time I bought it.
36 >>>> I have no experience with Abit, and I can tell you from experience with
37 >>>> a couple of them that Gigabyte is the worst junk for a board you can
38 >>>> buy and that their support has no idea what they are doing.
39 >>> Well, I have two of them and they work just fine. I might add, Abit
40 >>> gave me many years of 24/7 service. Being outdated was its only
41 >>> problem. Also, Gigabyte and Asus were the top rated boards when I
42 >>> bought my board. Some who have been here long enough may even recall me
43 >>> posting my buy list here on this mailing list. So, you thinking
44 >>> Gigabyte is junk can go in the same place as your thinking two ports on
45 >>> every board is the default. It's your opinion and not based on
46 >>> reality. I've learned the same usually applies to hard drives as well.
47 >> You must be assuming that the Gigabyte boards I've had my hands on
48 >> somehow existed outside of reality.
49 >
50 > I think you are outside reality at this point.
54 >>>>> As Daniel
55 >>>>> points out, you have to get into some pretty high end boards before you
56 >>>>> get two ethernet ports.
57 >>>>>
58 >>>>> Just for giggles, I went and looked at Asus boards, currently highly
59 >>>>> rated. I had to get up around the $400 range to find two ports. Most
60 >>>>> computers built for home use, and even some, maybe most, business
61 >>>>> computers, only have one port. It's all they need.
62 >>>>>
63 >>>>> I might also add, I have a lot of friends that give me their old
64 >>>>> computers. Of all the puters I have ever seen, they had one ethernet
65 >>>>> port. Over the past decade or so, I've likely stripped out a few dozen
66 >>>>> computers for parts. Not one of them had two ethernet ports.
67 >>>>>
68 >>>>> I'm with Daniel on this one.
69 >>>> The last time I got a board that didn't have two ports is about 20 years
70 >>>> ago, and I never bought one for 400. They all just have 2, needed or
71 >>>> not, even cheap ones.
72 >>>>
73 >>>>
74 >>> Odd. Just for giggles, I went to Newegg. I pulled up both AMD and
75 >>> Intel boards. I then looked at the pictures of the top sellers listed
76 >>> there. With my settings, it lists 36 on each page. Out of the first
77 >>> page for each type, only a couple or so had two ports and only one that
78 >>> I saw was under $200.00. The rest were more expensive than that. I
79 >>> think that one $200.00 board was a Gigabyte by the way. I doubt you
80 >>> want to claim owning that, right? Looked at 72 boards, only found a
81 >>> couple or so with two ethernet ports.
82 >>>
83 >>> So, looking at a large website that has likely millions of customers,
84 >>> carries about every brand of board there is, I could only find a very
85 >>> small percentage of boards that have two ethernet ports built in. That
86 >>> is not what a reasonable person would call the default. If it was the
87 >>> default as you claim, then there should only be a few that don't have
88 >>> two ports. You add in that Daniel, Taiidan and myself have not seen
89 >>> such a default, then I think you are mistaken.
90 >> That may very well be so, yet the boards around here usually have two
91 >> ports. If the ones around you usually have one port, it's not
92 >> surprising that you would assume a different default number of ports.
93 >> So what?
94 >>
95 >> .
98 > I didn't go look at boards I had around here. I went to a major
99 > computer supplier, newegg, and looked at what they had. Go back and
100 > read again what I did and maybe read it more carefully.
101 >
102 > Might I also add, it's more than just me that has pointed out that you
103 > are not correct on this. It's a few others as well. You ever stop to
104 > think that what you observe is not the normal and certainly not the
105 > default? If what you claim was even remotely accurate, newegg would
106 > have had a lot larger number of boards with two ports on it. Thing is,
107 > they didn't. Kai pointed out that the same is true in Europe.
108
109 Why would I assume that what someone else observes is a default?
110 Besides, I don't see what problem you're having with this.