From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Use of gethostname() and getdomainname()
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 06:34:57
1 I've got my own domain and domain server. I've just run into a problem
2 about the appropriate settings for hosts and domains, and it's messing up a
3 few things in my postfix setup.
4
5 The gentoo instructions say to set /etc/conf.d/hostname to the host name
6 only. It gets passed to sethostname(2) unchanged by /etc/init.d/hostname.
7 I did it.
8 The gentoo instructions say to put a domain name, if needed, into
9 /etc/conf.d/net. It seems to get used in network setup. I did it.
10
11 Nothing seems to be set into whatever it is that setdomainname(2) is used
12 for.
13 My mailx mailer seems to put "localdomain" on the sender address when my
14 crontab entries call it. Maybe because it sees that getdomainname(2) comes
15 up empty.
16
17 What's the right way to set this up? Should I just cobble my proper domain
18 into setdomainname(2)? Is there a right way? Is there a better way?
21 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD