From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 06:05:01
1 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I keep my /usr partition in /, but seeing the modules from dracut, the
6 >>> "magic" happens at:
7 >>>
8 >>> /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/98usrmount/mount-usr.sh
9 >>>
10 >>> Basically, it seems that if /usr is specified in /etc/fstab, then
11 >>> dracut will mount it. It says nothing about LVM, but that is taken
12 >>> care of in the scripts at:
13 >>>
14 >>> /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/90lvm
15 >>>
16 >>> I'm not familiar with LVM, but it seems simple enough. And you can
17 >>> create and modify your own dracut modules, of course.
18 >>>
19 >>> Regards.
22 >> I thought is was magic. lol I'm glad to get confirmation of this.
23 >> Also, does it look to you like it is using the init thingy now?
24 >
25 > From:
26 >
27 > [ 0.787822] Trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs...
28 >
29 > I would say it's using an initramfs; if you only specify the dracut
30 > created one in grub or lilo, that should be the one.
31 >
32 > And from /usr/lib/dracut/modules.d/98usrmount/mount-usr.sh:36, you
33 > should grep for the string "Mounting /usr" in your logs. It seems that
34 > the loglevel is info, so it should pop up by default.
35 >
36 > Finally, and it's none of my bussines, but reiserfs? Seriously?
37 >
38 > Regards.
41 Well, that is one of the things I want to change. I have several
42 reasons for wanting to change this mess. One is a file system change
43 and the other is to use LVM for stuff. I basically want LVM for
44 everything but root itself and /boot of course. Right now, /usr is
45 still on the root file system. I have portage on a separate partition
46 tho.
47
48 So far, reiserfs has not gave me any problems, not OS wise anyway. I
49 did have a large drive that gave me issues but I'm not sure if it was
50 the file system or not, tho it could very well have been. It now has
51 ext4 tho. lol
52
53 I'm going to beat some sense into this other drive and make a few
54 partitions. I may not do this tonight but then again, I might. ;-)
55
56 Dale
57
61 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
62 how you interpreted my words!
63
64 Miss the compile output? Hint:
65 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"