From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
To: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 21:09:16
1 On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 02:20:21PM -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
2
3 > FWIW, I had a /dev/cdrom symlink long before *devfs* even existed, let
4 > alone udev.
5
6 We are not looking for device paths that existed berfore udev. Actually,
7 most of them exist since much more time than udev. It's not relevant at
8 all.
9
10 > Also, ethN numberings are generally stable until and unless you do
11 > some strange BIOS tweaking or hardware changes, and should be able to
12 > be stabilized in the event the instability comes from some racy module
15 This is not true. I've had computers in hands where network cards could
16 change of names without any BIOS tunning. BIOS is a executed program and
17 the way each is implemented can guarantee *or not* to have the
18 conditions for persistent NIC names on Linux.
19
20 > udev's attempts at stabilizing network interfaces have made things
21 > worse more often than I've heard of it making them better. Hit any
22 > search engine for "eth0 missing 70-persistent-net.rules".
23
24 It's fully expected and required. Persistent naming can work if you have
25 a configuration for that somewhere. I see nothing worse here. But I see
26 an improvement to let me tune the NIC names if I need to. I have routers
27 with *lot of* NIC cards where this feature is very usefull (expressive
28 names are much better than ethX).
29
30 > (Apologies for anyone who sees this message in such a result; just
31 > delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, and you should get
32 > eth0 back.)
33
34 <still quoting to help beginners>
37 Nicolas Sebrecht