From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 21:39:30
1 On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Nicolas Sebrecht
2 <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 > On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 02:20:21PM -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
4 >
5 >> FWIW, I had a /dev/cdrom symlink long before *devfs* even existed, let
6 >> alone udev.
7 >
8 > We are not looking for device paths that existed berfore udev. Actually,
9 > most of them exist since much more time than udev. It's not relevant at
10 > all.
11
12 You missed my point. My point was that udev wasn't needed to resolve
13 the use case you described, that stable solutions to such cases
14 preceded udev, and so udev wasn't a necessary tool to solve them.
17 >> Also, ethN numberings are generally stable until and unless you do
18 >> some strange BIOS tweaking or hardware changes, and should be able to
19 >> be stabilized in the event the instability comes from some racy module
22 > This is not true. I've had computers in hands where network cards could
23 > change of names without any BIOS tunning.
24
25 Did this happen after a kernel update or a change to your kernel
26 configuration? A software update? A change in the set of enabled
27 modules, or which were built-in vs built as modules?
28
29 In any production server environment, I would assume you're already
30 watching the thing like a hawk and verifying that the thing comes up
31 properly after a reboot. Reboots should be very, very rare things. I
32 try to do things more or less correctly on a high-profile machine, and
33 I'm still giddy when the once-in-a-blue-moon reboot doesn't break
34 anything.
35
36 > BIOS is a executed program and
37 > the way each is implemented can guarantee *or not* to have the
38 > conditions for persistent NIC names on Linux.
39
40 What you're saying is that NIC stability is dependent on how the OEM
41 built the BIOS and software. I'll posit there may be strange NICs out
42 there which can't be initialized within a deterministic time frame
43 without some external factor such as a link handshake. If this were a
44 common behavior for a piece of hardware though, I'd consider it
45 indicative of shoddy quality, and would want to replace it.
46 Regardless, it's resolvable in software without using a tool that
47 imposes significant restrictions on system structure.
50 >> udev's attempts at stabilizing network interfaces have made things
51 >> worse more often than I've heard of it making them better. Hit any
52 >> search engine for "eth0 missing 70-persistent-net.rules".
53 >
54 > It's fully expected and required. Persistent naming can work if you have
55 > a configuration for that somewhere. I see nothing worse here.
56
57 One week, I helped no fewer than five people who ran afoul of the
58 70-persistent-net.rules file, and didn't know why their eth0
59 disappeared. These weren't newbie Linux users, either. Some knew their
60 way around GNOME better than I still do, and they mostly knew their
61 way around the shell. Some were networking professionals pulling more
62 than I do.
63
64 I'd wager the vast majority of systems out there have devices named as
65 'ethN' for wired connections, and 'wlanN', 'athN' or whatever for
66 wireless connections. And that the vast majority of those systems have
67 one or fewer wired connection ports. And that the further vast
68 majority of those don't have customized 70-persistent-net.rules files
69 as you and I have. If that's true, then the persistent-net rules
70 behavior currently harms more users than it benefits.
71
72 > But I see
73 > an improvement to let me tune the NIC names if I need to. I have routers
74 > with *lot of* NIC cards where this feature is very usefull (expressive
75 > names are much better than ethX).
76
77 I, too, noted this as a potential advantage of udev. On my router, I
78 have five interfaces. 'wan', 'he-tunnel', lan, wifi, lo and 'tun0'.
79 tun0 is only so-named because it's an OpenVPN thing I haven't bothered
80 to change. I've tried to advocate use this feature of udev.
81
82 But I administer my router the way I like to. Most people I've pointed
83 toward this capability just go "Meh. I have a list of interfaces and
84 what they're for." even when they already have udev.
87 :wq