From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 22:12:17
1 On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 16:38:20 -0500
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > But I see
5 > > an improvement to let me tune the NIC names if I need to. I have
6 > > routers with *lot of* NIC cards where this feature is very usefull
7 > > (expressive names are much better than ethX).
8 >
9 > I, too, noted this as a potential advantage of udev. On my router, I
10 > have five interfaces. 'wan', 'he-tunnel', lan, wifi, lo and 'tun0'.
11 > tun0 is only so-named because it's an OpenVPN thing I
12 > haven't bothered to change. I've tried to advocate use this feature
13 > of udev.
14 >
15 > But I administer my router the way I like to. Most people I've pointed
16 > toward this capability just go "Meh. I have a list of interfaces and
17 > what they're for." even when they already have udev.
18
19 I see that as a liability not a feature.
20
21 Our routers have very clear naming conventions for interfaces and they
22 are exactly how Cisco enumerates them and no other way. It's a firing
23 offense to dick with them and dream up useless "descriptive names".
24
25 Mind you, these for the most part are big iron with several 1000
26 interfaces each and 100+ support personnel working on them. But even
27 the on-site routers and firewalls at customer premises have the same
28 rule.
29
30 I assume we are talking about kit that routes properly (whether a
31 Unix or something else is not relevant) and not some joke system.
34 As for NICs that do not come up at boot time in a consistent
35 order, if any piece of hardware in our DC did that it would be sent
36 right back to the vendor labeled as a piece of shit with a demand for a
37 refund. FFS, if my boss shells out 3 months wages for some iron and it
38 can't even get something that basic correct, I start to wonder what
39 else might be dodgy.
40
41 There is ZERO excuse for a system that cannot deterministically
42 enumerate it's fixed devices at boot time.
46 Alan McKinnnon
47 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com