From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VPN connection from gentoo to OSX server?
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 12:57:32
1 On Sunday 16 Jun 2013 22:49:46 walt wrote:
2 > A colleague of mine has set up a Mac server just for the purpose
3 > of being a VPN server for the rest of us at work. So far I can't
4 > make a good vpn connection from this linux machine or my android
5 > tablet.
6 >
7 > I can log in using a vnc client and poke around in the server
8 > settings, so I know that the server is configured to use L2PT/PPP
9 > and not just PPP. I'm pretty sure that's where I'm going wrong.
10 >
11 > I have every L2TP option set in my kernel as well as all the
12 > tunnel and ppp/pppoe options I can find (knowing very little about
13 > the subject), but I can't tell if my attempted connections are
14 > really using the L2TP protocol or not. Syslog says nothing about
15 > L2TP, so I'm guessing there's something configured wrong on my end.
16 >
17 > I'm using networkmanager-pptp for the vpn connection, and the
18 > networkmanager config applet mentions nothing about L2TP.
19 >
20 > Has anyone else done this successfully?
21 >
22 > Thanks for any clues.
23
24 I haven't used L2TP to comment on specifics, but have you emerged and set up
25 xl2tp which I understand will set up the L2TP tunnel? L2TP will be
26 encapsulated within IPSec, which you should set up using racoon, strongswan,
27 etc.
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick