From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing a binary package without /usr/portage
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 08:07:53
1 On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 13:14:38 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2
3 > I use gentoo on small industrial-pc's, and strip out a lot of stuff that
4 > just takes up space, such as /usr/portage.
5
6 > I made a binary package with quickpkg, to install (with emerge --usepkg)
7 > on one of these PC's, but it complains about lots of stuff missing.
8
9 It would, if you have no portage tree.
10
11 > So, if I want to do without /usr/portage, can I just install binary
12 > packages by untarring them to / ? Or is there other essential stuff
13 > that emerge does when you install a binary package?
14
15 That depends on the ebuild. Check to see if it has any preinst or
16 postinst instructions. If so, you'll have to arrange for these to be
17 handled manually. Apart fro that, you should be able to unpack the
18 tarball to /. You can safely ignore the error from tar about trailing
19 garbage, portage tacks environment information onto the end of the tar.
20
21 Rather than use quickpkg, it would probably be better to add buildpkg to
22 FEATURES on the build box. That way you'll get the packages built
23 automatically.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Of course it's not your day,