From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] installing a binary package without /usr/portage
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 03:52:28
1 Hi all,
2
3 I use gentoo on small industrial-pc's, and strip out a lot of stuff that
4 just takes up space, such as /usr/portage.
5
6 I made a binary package with quickpkg, to install (with emerge --usepkg)
7 on one of these PC's, but it complains about lots of stuff missing.
8
9 So, if I want to do without /usr/portage, can I just install binary
10 packages by untarring them to / ? Or is there other essential stuff
11 that emerge does when you install a binary package?
12
13 I would appreciate comments on how to make this work - maybe by just
14 leaving an essential subset of /usr/portage. Note, that I know I won't
15 be able to emerge anything from source without most of the /usr/portage
16 stuff, but I'm happy with that, as all these PC's are close images of
17 each other, and we have one master copy with a larger HD.
18
19 thanks,
23 The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a
24 dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first.
25 (Arno Schaefer's .sig)
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list