From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing a binary package without /usr/portage
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 15:34:08
1 Friday 02 June 2006 05:44 skrev Iain Buchanan:
2 > I use gentoo on small industrial-pc's, and strip out a lot of stuff that
3 > just takes up space, such as /usr/portage.
4 >
5 > I made a binary package with quickpkg, to install (with emerge --usepkg)
6 > on one of these PC's, but it complains about lots of stuff missing.
7 >
8 > So, if I want to do without /usr/portage, can I just install binary
9 > packages by untarring them to / ? Or is there other essential stuff
10 > that emerge does when you install a binary package?
11 >
12 > I would appreciate comments on how to make this work - maybe by just
13 > leaving an essential subset of /usr/portage. Note, that I know I won't
14 > be able to emerge anything from source without most of the /usr/portage
15 > stuff, but I'm happy with that, as all these PC's are close images of
16 > each other, and we have one master copy with a larger HD.
17
18 You could just exclude parts of the tree that you're not going to use thereby
19 minimizing the size of the tree...
20
21 http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Exclude_categories_from_emerge_sync
24 Bo Andresen