From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing a binary package without /usr/portage
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 15:09:52
1 On 6/2/06, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I use gentoo on small industrial-pc's, and strip out a lot of stuff that
5 > just takes up space, such as /usr/portage.
6
7 Just take out space?! Ok, I know you must strip down stuff, but
8 portage is the heart of Gentoo, without it, you strip your
9 administrative tools also.
12 > I made a binary package with quickpkg, to install (with emerge --usepkg)
13 > on one of these PC's, but it complains about lots of stuff missing.
14
15 You have no portage tree, you can't install using emerge...
18 > So, if I want to do without /usr/portage, can I just install binary
19 > packages by untarring them to / ? Or is there other essential stuff
20 > that emerge does when you install a binary package?
21
22 You can, but its not certain to work, because there is more stuff
23 involved in installing an app than just putting files at the right
24 places. Note I'm not saying it won't work, it MAY work, but you can't
25 guarantee. Many packages have post-install scripts, and some need
26 checking to see if the environment is sane before install.
29 > I would appreciate comments on how to make this work - maybe by just
30 > leaving an essential subset of /usr/portage. Note, that I know I won't
31 > be able to emerge anything from source without most of the /usr/portage
32 > stuff, but I'm happy with that, as all these PC's are close images of
33 > each other, and we have one master copy with a larger HD.
34
35 If I were you (that's MHO) I would leave portage there, its not THAT
36 big anyway... But if there's no way to leave it and you're looking for
37 alternative ways to do it, you'll have to put portage somewhere (disc,
38 network, usb stick, second hard drive) to use emerge.
41 Daniel da Veiga
42 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list