From: Xi Shen <davidshen84@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] usb HD cannot boot without initramfs
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 02:05:22
1 On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:22 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 03:47:14PM +0800, Penguin Lover Xi Shen squawked:
3 >> i installed my gentoo on a usb HD disk, and i have compiled scsi, usb,
4 >> ata drivers into the kernel. but when boot, the system still cannot
5 >> find my usb hd, but it did find my hd on my laptop. what i missed?
6 >
7 > I don't completely understand your question: if it cannot find your
8 > usb hd and you installed on the usb HD, how did you boot?
11 i boot from the livedvd, and installed it on my usb hd. and the system
12 can boot normally if i use genkernel, i think it is because the
13 initramfs generated by genkernel loaded something that i missed.
14
15 > Did you install the bootloader on the USB HD?
16
17 yes, i use grub.
18
19 > Did you get to the bootloader screen at all?
20
21 yes, i can see the screen, and the kernel load log. but the system
22 dies when trying to mount the root and start the system.
23
24 > What cannot find your USB HD?
25 >
26 > Tell us in more detail what you did, and what didn't work. Your
27 > description is so vague that for all I know cosmic rays could've
28 > caused your problem.
29 >
30 > W
31 > --
32 > "`I think you ought to know that I'm feeling very
33 > depressed.'"
34 > "`Life, don't talk to me about life.'"
35 > "`Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to
36 > take you down to the bridge. Call that "job satisfaction"?
37 > 'Cos I don't.'"
38 > "`I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my
39 > left side.'"
40 >
41 > - Guess who.
42 > Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1105 days, 13:11
49 Best Regards,
50 David Shen
51
52 http://twitter.com/davidshen84/