From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: btrfs and gcc 4.9
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 00:37:25
1 Stefan G. Weichinger <lists <at> xunil.at> writes:
4 > General rule(s) for subvolumes as I learned them:
5
6 > * create them if you want to separate things logically
7
8 > * use them if you want to use specific settings/parameters for specific
9 > directories/subvols: for example compression, quotas ...
10
11 > * use them if you want to use snapshots. A (btrfs-)snapshot is always
12 > based on a subvolume so if you want to create snapshots for particular
13 > areas you have to set them up as subvolumes in advance.
14
15 > Splitting it into /boot, /, /home and maybe /distfiles (no compression
16 > here ... ?) is a usual approach. Keeping it as simple as possible in the
17 > start is a good idea. You can always add subvols later ... and move
18 > things over ...
19
20 Yea, I'm still planning what exactly I'm going to do
21 what needs to be snapshots and where I'll store and work
22 on various codes
23
24 > As I see the howto and the steps about booting:
27 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Btrfs_native_system_root#Embedding_an_initram_filesystem
28
29 > I didn't do it that way but used dracut for the initrd ... the
30 > ml-archives have some threads around learning this (combined with
31 > systemd and LVM stuff back then I spent quite some time ...).
32
33 > Canek's tool kerninst also helps here:
34
35 > https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst
38 I'm also trying to work out the booting setup, maintenance and
39 recovery in the event of failures.
40
41 I'll post what I come up with for you and other to comment
42 on and make suggestions for improvment.
43
44 Thanks,
45 James