From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: btrfs and gcc 4.9
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 13:09:55
1 Am 08.11.2014 um 23:17 schrieb James:
2
3 > I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible (the old boot root swap
4 > type of approach for btrfs is all I'm after for now. (simple).
5 >
6 > I have several system to experiment on, so once I get it figured out,
7 > I'll try a more agressive set up. For now it's everything under
8 > /root/ with subvolumes created under /root partition ?
11 > /usr/local/ is the only thing I do special. The /home dir
12 > is just me. So I'm trying to keep this simple and get
13 > it working on 3 old boxes..
14
15 General rule(s) for subvolumes as I learned them:
16
17 * create them if you want to separate things logically
18
19 * use them if you want to use specific settings/parameters for specific
20 directories/subvols: for example compression, quotas ...
21
22 * use them if you want to use snapshots. A (btrfs-)snapshot is always
23 based on a subvolume so if you want to create snapshots for particular
24 areas you have to set them up as subvolumes in advance.
25
26 Splitting it into /boot, /, /home and maybe /distfiles (no compression
27 here ... ?) is a usual approach. Keeping it as simple as possible in the
28 start is a good idea. You can always add subvols later ... and move
29 things over ...
32 As I see the howto and the steps about booting:
33
34 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Btrfs_native_system_root#Embedding_an_initram_filesystem
35
36 I didn't do it that way but used dracut for the initrd ... the
37 ml-archives have some threads around learning this (combined with
38 systemd and LVM stuff back then I spent quite some time ...).
39
40 Canek's tool kerninst also helps here:
41
42 https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst