From: Peter <sw98234@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: make.profile directory in /etc. not symlink
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 14:38:44
1 On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 16:00:59 +0200, Harm Geerts wrote:
2
3 snip...
4 >
5 > I remember a document where this was the procedure to set a profile.
6 > I remember it because I found it odd it didn't use a symlink to set the
7 > profile. I haven't been able to find this document, but I know it existed at
8 > some point.
9
10 man 5 portage:
11
12 /etc/make.profile/
13 This is usually just a symlink to the correct profile in
14 /usr/portage/profiles/. Since it is part of the portage tree,
15 it may easily be updated/regenerated by running `emerge --sync`.
16 It defines what a profile is (usually arch specific stuff). If
17 you need a custom profile, then you should make your own
18 /etc/make.profile/ directory and populate it. However, if you
19 just wish to override some settings, do NOT edit these files
20 because they WILL be lost with the next `emerge --sync`. See
21 the section below on /etc/portage/ for overriding.
24 I still don't know why I did it. Maybe I did not want to update the
25 profile, maybe there was a default use flag I did not like? I really don't
26 recall when or why I did it! Beats me.
29 Peter
30 +++++
31 Do not reply to this email, it is a spam trap and not monitored.
32 I can be reached via this list, or via
33 jabber: pete4abw at jabber.org
34 ICQ: 73676357
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list