From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2022 23:54:27
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > On Sat, Dec 10, 2022 at 1:42 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > <SNIP>
7 > > It does appear that several people are making it so NAS boxes can be
8 > > easily built by us nerdy types and not be huge.  Things are a bit
9 > > interesting right now for hardware and such.  Some parts are expensive,
10 > > hard to find or just plain unavailable.  Still, I suspect that this will
11 > > get better later on.  The good thing, people are working on this. There
12 > > is interest in having a option.
15 > I know I've said this before but yes, people are working on it and it
16 > is buildable by people like us.
17 >
18 > https://www.truenas.com/truenas-core/
19 >
20 > Any old x64 PC and a few disks will get you up and running. It's
21 > open source as much as BSD is open source. It's not Linux
22 > so there was a little learning to do but it wasn't bad.
23 >
24 > Mine has a small SSD as the boot drive and then RAID1 pairs
25 > running OpenZFS for storage. It's inexpensive if you have an
26 > old computer to build on.
27 >
28 > Good luck,
29 > Mark
30
31 I got a old rig I can use.  I actually burned OpenNAS, TrueNAS or
32 FreeNAS on a USB stick.  I can't recall which one I put on it tho.  I
33 downloaded all three.  lol  If you know that one is better than the
34 others, feel free to share.  Also, I'd like to keep using LVM if I can.
35 If nothing else, I already got the data on the drives and won't have to
36 reformat and copy again.  It took almost 100 hours to copy to the new
37 16TB drive.  Using LVM would make that easier, and faster.
38
39 I'll have to work with what I got for now but I really like the
40 Raspberry option for its size and good options to upgrade later.  I'll
41 just make do with something else until that option is doable.  Maybe it
42 won't be to long.
43
44 Dale
45