From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up SMTP relay
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 21:10:56
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 21:56 on Sunday 23 January 2011, kashani did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > On 1/23/2011 11:23 AM, Alex Schuster wrote:
5 > > Relaying does not work yet, I get a "Relay access denied (in reply to
6 > > RCPT TO command)" error. But my initial goal is reached, I can send mail
7 > > to {root,wonko}@wonkology.org. That's all I wanted.
8 > >
9 > > Many many thanks kashani! Your howto is much more than I expected, it is
10 > > much appreciated. I realize that postfix is not too complicated, so I
11 > > will play more with it when I have some spare time.
12 >
13 > Postifx is definitely worth the investment and people always seem
14 > surprised to find that 5-15 lines of config is all they need. You're
15 > welcome for the config. I spent most of last week learning the ins and
16 > out of authentication and relay hosts that hard way when I changed the
17 > domain of our servers and needed to update everything.
18 >
19 > I'm using a lot of EC2 machines and didn't want to maintain IP lists
20 so
21 > I auth all servers trying to relay against my two Postfix servers. This
22 > config reflects that and might need some changes for your environment.
23 >
24 > kashani
27 Side note:
28
29 Agreed on Postfix.
30
31 I always think of the Postfix devs as people who take Unix philosophy
32 seriously. The code does one thing and does it very very well:
33
34 It sends and receives mail. It receives it in a way that is hard to hurt the
35 sender and hard to crash Postfix, and sends it in a way that does not hurt
36 itself and does not hurt the recipient. Oh, and it natively does a few sanity
37 checks on the sender, mostly because it's convenient to do it there.
38
39 And the config is simplicity itself - define a hostname, domain and a few
40 other things and the odds are excellent it will work well out of the box as
41 one of the few setups that 98% of people with mail servers want.
42
43 It manages it's own queues beautifully. But, and this makes me sad, it doesn't
44 really want *me* to manage it's queues. Border controls are hard, and finding
45 the 1,000 mails some idiot with a Windows bot just sent, and deleting them, is
46 really hard.
47
48 I'm redesigning our mail setup at work,a nd I'm going to do it with exim *and*
49 Postfix. Exim is the front end I can see, work with, and manage. Exim sends on
50 to Postfix as fast as it can, and Postfix transparently relays to recipient. I
51 get best of both worlds :-)
52
53 Now let's contrast Postfix with sendmail. No, wait, let's rather not....
57 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com