From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any way to automate login to host and su to root?
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 12:44:23
1 On Fri, 15 Jul 2022 09:53:44 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > > There's no reason you cannot change SSH keys as regularly, and good
4 > > reasons why you should. It's just that people don't bother to do it.
5 >
6 > I agree, but that is a tedious process.
7 >
8 > I have multiple machines I use as desktop depending on where I am. And
9 > either I need to securely share the private keys between them or set up
10 > different keys per desktop.
11 > I assume the same is true for most people.
12
13 I don't share keys, each desktop/laptop has its own keys.
14
15 > Never mind that access to the servers needs to be possible for others
16 > as well.
17 >
18 > Either way, to do this automatically, all the desktop machines need to
19 > be powered and running while changing the keys.
20
21 Not if they use their own keys. It should be simple to script generating
22 a new key, then SSHing to a list of machines and replacing the old key
23 with the new one in authorized_keys.
24
25 > Changing passwords for servers and storing them in a password vault is
26 > easier to automate.
27
28 Indeed it is, and now you've found a way to do what you want with
29 passwords, all is well.
30
31 However, I will look at scripting regular replacements for SSH keys, for
32 my own peace of mind.
36 Neil Bothwick
37
38 Mac screen message: "Like, dude, something went wrong."