From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 01:14:28
1 On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 07:48:12AM -0800, Grant wrote
2 > Lately I've been shopping around for other distros as well as looking
3 > at *BSD. Gentoo development seems to have slowed way down and I like
4 > things being improved as quickly as possible.
5
6 One item (amongst many) that chased me away from Windows was the
7 upgrade treadmill...
8 1993 Win3.1
9 1994 Win3.11
10 1995 Win95
11 1996 Win95OSr2
12 1997 And on the 1997th year, Go^H^H Gates rested
13 1998 Win98
14 1999 Win98SE
15 2000 WinME and Win2K
16 2001 WinXP
17
18 Remember that Gentoo is a linux distro, meaning that it is an
19 implementation based on Linus Torvalds' baby. You may be thinking back
20 to the early days of Kernel 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, etc, etc. For whatever
21 reason, 2.6 has been around for 4 years, with no signs of being
22 replaced. Gentoo can't do much about that, or do you want to fork the
23 linux kernel? There have been a lot of "minor" improvements that, taken
24 together, have led to major overall improvement.
25
26 Basically, linux has caught up to Windows, indeed 64-bit linux has
27 been better than 64-Windows for the past year.
28
29 > The concept is second to none, the execution of that concept is
30 > fantastic, but it needs to keep moving forward.
31
32 Do you have a list of significant improvements you want implemented?
33 There were gaping holes in linux's abilities in the past. These
34 problems have been fixed. Change simply for the sake of change is a
35 relic of the Windows era.
38 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
39 I'm not repeating myself
40 I'm an X Window user... I'm an ex-Windows-user
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list