From: Galevsky <galevsky@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Rules
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:04:27
1 On Dec 16, 2007 2:09 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Do you have a list of significant improvements you want implemented?
3 > There were gaping holes in linux's abilities in the past. These
4 > problems have been fixed. Change simply for the sake of change is a
5 > relic of the Windows era.
6
7 Ya, but let me remind you that Gentoo did not reach the perfect stage
8 of "nothing more can be done to improve it".
9
10 IMHO, there is one major project that Gentoo should start. Gentoo is a
11 distro -I don't remember who told us Gentoo is not a distro, but it
12 is- because there is something called portage tree. It is not just an
13 LFS with a package manager (to do that, please read
14 http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ and install a portage tarball),
15 because Gentoo provides thousands of packages that are maintained by
16 gentoo devs. No more confusion, Gentoo IS a distro.
17
18 Well, Grant -among others- is wondering about Gentoo future, and some
19 difficulties that Gentoo currently faces. I love the efforts of some
20 gentooers to claim that everything is okay in Gentoo world, they may
21 skip the goodbye posts of all the leaving developers on the dev list,
22 or may ignore the understaffed teams, but .... well, Grant, you are
23 not stupid to wonder about future and your questions are not silly.
24
25 Some improvement that can be done ? Someone reports difficulties for
26 non-dev to become official dev or contribute. I think about something
27 that EVERY linux distro lacks today. I am dreaming about a clear
28 package tree representation. I mean, there is
29 http://packages.gentoo.org/ for users to know which package are at
30 disposal on which architectures, and so on. Let's imagine what a
31 distro web site should provide... (not only on the web site but also
32 integrated into the pkg management software) the categorized packages
33 list, with search features of course, with ALL the information
34 attached to each package, like the needs for maintainers as an
35 example. There is neither announcements about the future ebuild
36 releases, nor the Gentoo policy about this package... I think that
37 this kind of information can be a good interface between official devs
38 and the community to encourage new people to become devs, or to simply
39 provide a better view on the current status of the portage tree and
40 the near future.
41
42 The package maintenance is a really hard task that requires lots of
43 resources. OK. But there is a lack of resources. Is there actually
44 nothing to do ? Is the automation of the package built with all USE
45 flags combination and tests already done ? Are you sure that there is
46 no process improvement possible (about the non-regression tests
47 delivered with ebuilds) ? There is just one point on which I am sure
48 .... it is hard for non-dev to know how things turn on.
49
50 Gal'
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list