From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] screen, mc, htop
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 21:47:56
1 On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM, András, Csányi - Sayusi Ando
2 <sayusi.ando@××××××.hu> wrote:
3 > Hi all!
4 >
5 > I'm here again.
6 >
7 > So, the problem points is I can't decide what is the real problem. But
8 > I can describe the symptomes.
9 >
10 > I use screen lot of and I like it veery much. Few weeks ago - when I
11 > reinstall gentoo, started this weird thing.
12 > If I start mc in the screen nothings happen. I can see the cursos is
13 > stop before the last line and waiting...
14 > Generally first time the mc is start and I can work with. But, random
15 > long time later the mc is start doing this stupid behavior what I
16 > wrote upper. This thing is independent what I did. Last time is
17 > started after I use vim to edit an file. Yesterday started after I
18 > write in mc's command line 'df -h' and hit Enter.
19 >
20 > If I detached screen I can start an mc. So, mc is working. If I
21 > straced the process what is waiting I can see only this in the outline
22 > of strace:
23 >
24 > "read(0,"
25 >
26 > In the screen I can't interrupt the process with Control-c or
27 > Control-d. I can kill this process with C-a K but in this case the
28 > screen windows will die too.
29 > The screen do this with users and root user too. The 'screen -wipe'
30 > command isn't solution. About my experiences the reboot is the
31 > solution, only...
32 >
33 > The important informations:
34 > app-misc/screen-4.0.3 multiuser nethack pam -debug -selinux
35 > app-misc/mc-4.6.2_pre1 7zip gpm ncurses nls -samba slang unicode -X
36 >
37 > This information is enough or do you need more?
38 >
39 > But there is an another crazy thing.
40 > If I start htop - after the mc and screen started doing the strange
41 > behavior - nothing happen. I detouch the screen and touch back the
42 > htop is working fine.
43 >
44 > I hope somebody can tell me what is the problem because I don't know. :(
45 >
46 > Thank you!
47 >
48 > András
49
50 Very strange. I just tried this combination and it all works for me.
51 Here's my versions (am on ~amd64)
52
53 app-misc/screen-4.0.3 USE="pam -debug -multiuser -nethack (-selinux)"
54 app-misc/mc-4.6.2_pre1 USE="X gpm nls samba unicode"
55 sys-process/htop-0.8.1-r1 USE="unicode -debug"
56
57 I do not use "multiuser" or "nethack" USE flags for scren. You do not
58 use "samba". Otherwise everything seems the same.
59
60 Paul