From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Which CPU type to select?
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 01:48:23
1 I'm installing Gentoo on a brand new toy I just got myself. Here are
2 the choices from "make menuconfig". Is "Core 2/newer Xeon" correct?
3
4 ( ) Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8
5 ( ) Intel P4 / older Netburst based Xeon
6 (X) Core 2/newer Xeon
7 ( ) Intel Atom
8 ( ) Generic-x86-64
9
10 Here's the listing for one of the cores from /proc/cpuinfo
11
12 processor : 0
13 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
14 cpu family : 6
15 model : 37
16 model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU M 620 @ 2.67GHz
17 stepping : 5
18 microcode : 0x2
19 cpu MHz : 2667.000
20 cache size : 4096 KB
21 physical id : 0
22 siblings : 4
23 core id : 0
24 cpu cores : 2
25 apicid : 0
26 initial apicid : 0
27 fpu : yes
28 fpu_exception : yes
29 cpuid level : 11
30 wp : yes
31 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
32 mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
33 syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl
34 xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx
35 smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes lahf_lm
36 ida arat dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
37 bogomips : 5320.06
38 clflush size : 64
39 cache_alignment : 64
40 address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
41 power management:
44 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
45 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications