From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which CPU type to select?
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 04:35:26
1 On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I'm installing Gentoo on a brand new toy I just got myself. Here are
3 > the choices from "make menuconfig". Is "Core 2/newer Xeon" correct?
4 >
5 > ( ) Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8
6 > ( ) Intel P4 / older Netburst based Xeon
7 > (X) Core 2/newer Xeon
8 > ( ) Intel Atom
9 > ( ) Generic-x86-64
10 >
11 > Here's the listing for one of the cores from /proc/cpuinfo
12 >
13 > processor : 0
14 > vendor_id : GenuineIntel
15 > cpu family : 6
16 > model : 37
17 > model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU M 620 @ 2.67GHz
18 > stepping : 5
19 > microcode : 0x2
20 > cpu MHz : 2667.000
21 > cache size : 4096 KB
22 > physical id : 0
23 > siblings : 4
24 > core id : 0
25 > cpu cores : 2
26 > apicid : 0
27 > initial apicid : 0
28 > fpu : yes
29 > fpu_exception : yes
30 > cpuid level : 11
31 > wp : yes
32 > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
33 > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
34 > syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl
35 > xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx
36 > smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes lahf_lm
37 > ida arat dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
38 > bogomips : 5320.06
39 > clflush size : 64
40 > cache_alignment : 64
41 > address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
42 > power management:
45 Y U NO read help of that option? It's clearly specified there that
46 newer Xeons have family 6 and older ones have 15.
47 So, your choice is right.
50 Nilesh Govindrajan
51 http://nileshgr.com