From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: resolv.conf is different after every reboot
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 16:33:50
1 Grand Duet <grand.duet <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > >> In short: the contents of the file /etc/resolv.conf
5 > >> is unpredictably different from one reboot to another.
6 > >> It is either
7 > >> # Generated by net-scripts for interface lo
8 > >> domain mynetwork or
9 > >> # Generated by net-scripts for interface "eth0"
10 > >> nameserver My.First.DNS-Server.IP
11 > >> nameserver My.Second.DNS-Server.IP
12 > >> nameserver 8.8.8.8
15 I set my nameservers all manually in this file and they do
16 not every change. I do not run systemd. I'm not sure
17 of your issue(s) but, historically, resolv.conf should not
18 be displaying this behavior.
19
20 > > and also the output of the "rc-update show" command?
21 >
22 > # rc-update show
23
24 > mtab | boot
25 > net.eth0 | default
26 > net.lo | boot
27 > netmount | default
30 > Everywhere above eth0 has been put instead of its udev "predictable" name.
31 > Do you think that I need
32 > carrier_timeout_eth0=20
33 > somewhere in /etc/conf.d/net ?
34
35 I do not try and force the "eth' names onto an interface
36 I have these in rc-status:
37
38 mtab | boot
39 net.enp5s0 | default
40 netmount | default
41
42 I just look at the dmesg output and use the new, default
43 funky names. You can read up on these evolving interface
44 names by googling.
45
46 Here is one link (often posted to this user group) to get you started:
49 http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
52 hth,
53 James